There are not an infinite number of ways to tag things. In order to edit the
tags you think need changing, you have to find them. So instead of editing them
just add the tag to your list of accepted tags. If you edit you have to
re-download the extract of the OSM data, if you simply update your list of tags
then just run your code again.

If you edit tags as you describe that is a mechanical edit and I would insist
it is reverted.

Cheers, Chris (chillly)