Dan, I'm not being dogmatic, I'm being practical. If a data consumer needs to edit the data rather than incorporate the options into their data handling stream they are making their process vulnerable to anyone's edits. If Stuart edits access:psv=* to psv=* his process will work, until someone adds the next access:psv=* or until someone who expects to see the access:psv tag and reverts Stuart's edit. If he deals with both there will be no problem at all.

If you import into a database, you could process the tags during the load (that's what people use lua for when importing the data for rendering) or you could change the SQL you use. If you don't use a database, the tag selection needs to managed by a list rather than a single key. Anyone working with soft data would expect this kind of thing.

As to the edit, I would always support the data being edited. If you want to change psv=No to psv=no, that's fine and useful, but changing one perfectly acceptable tagging scheme to another one to make a data consumer's job very slightly easier seems like a very poor reason for such an edit. It sets a terrible precedent.

Cheers, Chris (chillly)