In Baltimore, I've refrained from tracing too many sidewalks, except when
the sidewalk is part of one the the signed city paths. I have noticed that
routing that uses OSM (like Strava) tends to choke if all the ways are not
there, and also if there are overlapping segments without a node.

I like the, *if it is separate* philosophy.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Kai Krueger <kakrue...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Toby Murray-2 wrote
> > Wait, what is the consensus method for tagging sidewalks? I haven't done
> > lot of them but I know I've added a few as footways myself.
>
> I have struggled with how best to map sidewalks in the US as well. In
> european cities my impression is that sidewalks are generally directly
> attached as part of the road, and they are typically just another (special)
> "lane". So there you typically don't map the sidewalks as separate.
> Footways
> in those settings generally are real footways and thus deserve the
> prominence the style sheet gives them. But in the US (at least in
> suburbia),
> the sidewalks are often much more detached from the road with wide grass
> strips between them. They also sometimes aren't entirely parallel to the
> road. So there it makes more sense to map them as separate OSM ways rather
> than to use a sidewalk key on the main road.
>
> However, the separate ways also can have disadvantages for pedestrian
> routing. As a pedestrian, I would typically just cross a (non busy) road
> where ever I need to. If the sidewalks and roads are mapped separately, the
> router can't just tell you to cross the road though, but needs to route you
> to the next mapped intersection. One also needs to add a number of
> connection ways between roads and sidewalks which in that form doesn't
> really exist in reality, making the maps look even more messy.
>
> Not sure there is an ideal solution for this and we will likely see both
> explicit footway mapping and mapping as part of the road. It would still be
> good to come to somewhat more of a consensus on the topic though.
>
> Kai
>

> --

Elliott Plack
http://about.me/elliottp