Personally, I like to treat most sidewalks that are close to and basically
parallel the same as attached ones.  IE. both of Martijn's examples tagged
as part of the roadway way.  I would save the separate footpath highways
for when it isn't a typical sidewalk.

Wider exercise paths that are also part of a network.  Portions may fall in
the "normal sidewalk" but is part of a greater whole that does not.
Large gaps between the road, more than 3 meters or even 5 meters
Deviates from the road, in witch case make the path separate for that
block/road segment.

Example: http://binged.it/1hf8E3K
2 blocks of Upper Park Road along the park side has a normal sidewalk (I'd
map part of the road way), but the rest on the park side I would map as
independent footpath ways, even the winding parts that are along the road
as they are part of the park sidewalk/exercise trail.
But adding and maintaining all the individual sidewalks in the residential
part separate form the roads seems counter productive.

Dale Puch