Probably the only truly free screen reader is NVDA!  Whether or not one
sends in a donation, anyone anywhere can download it, install it and use it
to one's heart's content.

All other screen readers, whether it be Talkback or VoiceOver, incur some
cost however minimal such a cost might be.  These screen readers are not
readily available to just about anyone to download, install and play with.
It is of absolute necessity that a user MUST have in his or her possession a
gadget that runs either one.  The cost of ownership is built into the final
price one pays for acquisition.  Both Talkback and VoiceOver are packaged
deals; as such, from an economic perspective, neither one is free!

That aside, personally, if I can't get work done using Windows because my
preferred screen reader is on the CHOPPING BLOCK, I will move over to
Android!  On this platform, my choices are vast and I am NOT tied to a
stake.  I'm not at home with proprietary stuff, I enjoy playing with various
permutations!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado