I'm confused on your statement:
"These screen readers are not readily available to just about anyone to download, install and play with. It is of absolute necessity that a user MUST have in his or her possession a gadget that runs either one."

Anyone can go to the play store and download talkback on an android device. If Talkback isn't installed by default and you have no access to the Play Store, you can have someone side load it for you.
Anyone can enable VoiceOver on either the mac or iOS to play with.
You do need an android device to use Talkback and an apple device to use VoiceOver, just like you need a Windows device to run Narrator, Window-Eyes, JAWS, SuperNova and NVDA.

NVDA isn't really free, if NVAccess doesn't get funding from either donations or other sources it could disappear.

Chris

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
http://www.MysticAccess.com

Check out our eclectic and comprehensive assistive technology podcasts at:
http://www.MysticAccessPodcast.com

Join our free announce-only mailing list to receive product news, podcast updates and exclusive coupon codes. Please send a blank email to:

manews-subscribe@mysticaccess.email

 Contact:

Phone: (716) 543-3323  (Ext. 500)

Twitter: MysticAccess