Am 30.07.2010 13:18, schrieb Frederik Ramm:
To them, I say: Yes, you're right, it can be a pain sometimes, but if
you practice it for a while, it will be an easy routine.

I'm doing this day by day while doing software development - but there it has a much higher value: Very often you can't get the reason of a code change only by looking at the differences.

If I add a missing road to the road network, it's pretty clear what the reason was.

I think some comments are really useful, e.g. if the change are potentially annoying another user, like: "removed a duplicate node" is a valuable message to "the other one out there", that I think he has added a duplicate.

In a lot of other cases, comments are only a waste of time.

If writing
English takes you too long, use your national language, that's no
problem. And you don't have to write long sentences, a few words are
sufficient. But that little bit of time you spend when committing your
changes adds so much value!

For which audience?

There are people who actively watch out "their area" what changes there. That's fine and valueable. But IMHO it's *their job* to make sense of the changes, not the mappers job.

Don't be fooled; the small changeset comment that you enter when
uploading stuff *will* be read by many people.

I don't think so. Do you have numbers?

Done well, changeset
comments are tremendously helpful.

For what?

First of all, you probably need better diff tools (I mentioned that before :-), not better changeset comments ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S: Your whole mail was the wrong way round. It was: "Comments are soooo helpful, please do it and your lame if not", but it should have been: "Look, this and that and those things are a lot easier for others if you add a comment, please do it". This way you might convince more people ...