On 2015-05-29 14:05, SomeoneElse wrote:
On 29/05/2015 12:51, Maarten Deen wrote:

It depends on what you want. When someone asks me to navigate to Natanzon, Haifa how can I enter it when the only name in the map is נתנזון, חיפה?
I don't see why the transliterated name is not important.

No-one is saying that the transliterated name is not useful for all
sorts of reasons (the thread title "can wikidata links help..." makes
it clear that this is about trying to make it easier to get to these
names, not harder).  The question here is, in a case when a name:xx
isn't widely used in the place and doesn't appear on signs*, how can a
user of the data know that they've got there or not?

The problem is that there is a "third" way of writing a place name. Namely the internationalized name of the place in the alphabet that you use. Beijing is Peking in Dutch, but we commonly use Beijing these days. Other countries (Germany, France) are still more prone to using their transliteration.

For example: I do not want to see a map that shows name:nl for every place. Some are very obscure and may not be understood, others are more common but are just not used in normal life. I want to see name, but for non-Latin alphabets I probably want name:en. But it should not be a big challenge to identify the character set that's used in a string, so it should also not be very difficult to know when to show name and when to show name:en.

On the other hand: for showing a map on my navigation device, I want to see what is on the signposts.
So it all depends on the usage.

OSM shouldn't be it's own parallel universe - we map what's on the ground.

Am I correct in thinking that your idea is not to have things that are not on the ground in OSM? The problem with this is: to have translations by having to look up every name on an external website is not a very workable solution. That means having to load the complete database of that website before you do anything, or accept massive latencies for each lookup. And the relation that is used to lookup the data in this external database may break.
It is much more convenient to have name:xx in OSM.

Maarten