>> I'd say that whether or not a name is actually usable to help navigate
>> to a place is a pretty important piece of information.  For example,
>> when processing OSM data for my own use I'll try and drop unsigned
>> names and refs from roads (there's no point in saying "turn left on
>> Foo Street" if "Foo Street" does not appear on the sign).
>>

> It depends on what you want. When someone asks me to navigate to Natanzon,
> Haifa how can I enter it when the only name in the map is נתנזון, חיפה?
> I don't see why the transliterated name is not important.

while the transliterated / translated name  might be useless for the actual
navigation, it is important for entering the address. Seems like you are
both addressing a different part of the task.
I assume a Brit wants to enter "Antwerp, Belgium" and not "Antwerpen,
België". Although once they are driving in Belgium they will get
navigational hints as "follow the motorway towards Antwerpen" (or maybe
even "towards Anvers" when that is on a sign in France).

similar for the Foo Street. When I want to drive to the Foo Street, I want
to be able to enter it, whether is is signed or not. I'm probably fine that
the driving instructions leave out the name when I get to my destination.

regards

m.