OSM isn't a closed system.  I get the impression that it has evolved over
time.  There is a core database engine and then there seems to be addons.
Lots of them like JOSM.

The problem is if you touch something basic the interface may change for
the addons and that's a big problem. Using XML helps keep the interfaces
stable but there are performance issues.

Perhaps what we should do is a drive to document the interfaces and
possibly the data flows through what I was going to say system but it seems
almost much larger than that.

Traditionally with computer systems there is a formal change management
system.  A problem is identified such as the database may contain web
addresses that point to malware.  Currently there is a lot of creative work
being done here using characters outside the normal ANSI base set.  One
extended German character looks very much like a letter d for example
except to a computer which points to a different web address.

Perhaps we could start by identifying problems such as this.  I'm sure
someone could run something down the database to check that all the
characters in a web address are in the base ANSI set.  It's not perfect but
it would be a start.

Cheerio John