On 25.02.20 18:03, Tomek wrote:
W dniu 20-02-25 o 16:26, Hartmut Holzgraefe pisze:
In a former company I worked for we had a clear "The burden shall
be on the writer, not the readers" principle. As the number of
readers is usually much larger then the number of writers (typically
one) of a message, that minimizes total effort and overhead (and
this is not limited to language choice and translations alone).
I would say this principle should apply here, to
EO Mi estas la leganto, do bonvolu skribi en mia lingvo (pola) aŭ en internacia lingvo, kiun mi scias (Esperanto). EN I am the reader, so please write in my language (Polish) or in an international language I know (Esperanto).

you are just one reader, not the totality of readers. The "the burden
shall be on the writer, not the readers" principle does not go as far
as having to translate to all potentially preferred languages in the
audience ...

I already take the burden to write in a language that is not my native
one, but the one I can safely assume to be the one understood by most
of the audience.

> EN Is there any major international list to discuss?
> Why don't you go to the "Talk-GB" or "Talk-us" list to discuss in English?

Because these are more for topics local to those countries.

For international lists every open source and open data project I've
been on so far has agreed on using english whenever possible, this
is not limited to OSM. And this is the first time I've seen complaints
about this, across all these projects.

Even my current (MariaDB) and my previous (Mysql) employers use(d)
english for this, both externally and internally, even though MySQL
was a swedish company, and MariaDB is a finnish one.

It's just what has been proven to work "least bad". Does that give
some an unfair advantage? For sure. But would raising the bar for
everyone by demanding "You have to learn this language, that you
almost for certain have not learned before, to even start to
participate" be "less bad"? I'm far from convinced ...

Personally when looking at my history of learning English, beyond what I learned in school, this included having a British uncle, listening to
british radio, reading novels and tech magazines, and watching british
and US movies and TV shows. And then finally getting involved into
open source projects, and then jobs, where English was the language
anyone had agreed on to use for communications.

Hardly any of this is available for getting fluent in Esperanto, as
already pointed out earlier. (And the same was true for Latin when
I tried to learn it at school. In the end I just learned enough to
pass final tests and get my "Latinum", but I never even became a fluent
reader, and even less so writer or even speaker. And by now I've mostly
forgotten everything I learned back then ...)

PS: given the choice, I'd probably rather learn Klingon than Esperanto,
that might give me better chances to find someone I could talk to in
that language after all I assume, esp. in the tech/geek sector ...