On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 06:58:33 -0700, Ming-Li wrote:

ML> I tried X-News a while back, and it stayed on my system much longer
ML> than Gravity. It has some innovative features that truly make the
ML> newsreading experience enjoyable. The big minus? It's an online
ML> reader and the author makes clear he has no intention to add true
ML> offline capability to it. I need an offline reader, so it's out
ML> after I switch to Win2k.

        The author of X-News adopts the attitude typical and
understandable of freeware developers. 'Take it or leave it'. My
freeware arsenal is therefore quite small. X-News would be the best if
it had good off-line reading capabilities.

ML> I guess I'm simply spoiled by Agent. When I try a new one, I expect
ML> nothing less than what Agent could provide, and any feature (that I
ML> use) missing in the new software appears to be glaring to me. It's
ML> not fair, I know. I just couldn't help it.

        Agent really shines in it's stability, portability and the ease
with which one can navigate and read news messages. Otherwise it's
pretty much equalled and in many respects bettered by Gravity and
X-News.

>>         I vividly remembering getting frustrated in how to to
>> setup Agent for e-mail and to create a few folders. Unbelievably
>> unintuitive at the time. :-)

ML> Really? I can't believe it. I must have used it for too long to
ML> remember.

        Hehe. I remember though.

ML> Example no. 1,

        <examples snipped for brevity>

        I agree with all your points there, except for the folder
sorting. That's a single learnt point. Once learnt, never forgotten.
Automatic sorting? <shrug> I'm curious about those who wish their
folders to be resorted with the addition of new folders. I tend to want
particular folders to be in particular places and not merely sorted by
name. That's just me.

ML> That's an interesting observation. You mean OE, Outlook and Eudora
ML> can't format the messages correctly? Are you referring to HTML mail?
ML> Could you be more specific?

        Take a look at this:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

> > >    A Sunday school teacher was discussing the Ten Commandments with
her
> five
> >
> > > and six year olds. After explaining the commandment to "honor thy
father
> and
> >
> > > thy mother," she asked, "Is there a commandment that teaches us how to
> treat
> >
> > > our brothers and sisters?"
> >

> > >    Without missing a beat one little boy (the oldest of a Family)
> answered,
> >
> > > "Thou shall not kill."

++++++++++++++++++++++++

        Readable?  Terrible if you ask me. Now if this was a chain
letter between capable TB! users then this would never happen. In fact,
simply hitting forward each time with TB! still would not produce such
lousy formatting.

        The reason for this is that OE, Outlook, Eudora, Calypso and
their ilk, wrap text upon sending. As a result of this, quoted text,
that appears fine during editing, is re-flowed in a horrid manner. Take
a look at Usenet and what OE has done to the quality of text quoting.

        By the way, I ran that above paragraph through my text cleaner
and this is what it read:

++++++++++++++++++++++++

>>>     A Sunday school teacher was discussing the Ten Commandments with
>>> her five and six year olds. After explaining the commandment to
>>> "honor thy father and thy mother," she asked, "Is there a commandment
>>> that teaches us how to treat our brothers and sisters?"
>>>
>>>     Without missing a beat one little boy (the oldest of a Family)
>>> answered,
>>>
>>>     "Thou shall not kill."

        Aaaaahhhh! Now isn't that more readable? :-)

--
A.C. Martin          [ TB! v1.45 Beta/5 | Win2k Pro ]
PGP Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendAlliePGPKey