On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:30:26 -0700, Januk Aggarwal wrote:

JA> 1. I made my main account and my dummy account both user level accounts.
JA> 2. When I fire up TB, I get a login box asking for my username.

I've been, for a long time, wanting to suppress the visibility of one of
the accounts that I hardly use, and decided to try this stuff myself.
Since I easily remembered the story of a new user changing an account to
user and not being able to logon, I did some reading of the
documentation. Unfortunately, *again*, the documentation is poor and I
had to do the usual experimenting (not safe in this particular
instance). Anyway, I made the accounts I wanted to see user accounts,
created a user-group that could use these two accounts and logged back
on as such. The hardly used account is now the administrator account.

JA> So a user has no way of knowing from within TB how many other accounts
JA> exist.  However, the user can know that other accounts exist since the
JA> little animation will flap when *any* account has new mail, even if
JA> you can't see that account.

This really shouldn't be the case now should it? This needs to be tidied
up. The bat icon should animate only when new mail arrives in the user
account/s and not just any account.

JA> 7. I checked my quick templates.  I can not access QT's from other
JA>    accounts despite the "Share with other accounts" option.  This
JA>    seems like a bug.

Indeed it seems so, unless the developers think that QT sharing means
the other account holders can share the quick templates but not edit
them.

JA> 8. I opened a new message.  My template comes up ok.  This is strange,
JA>    that template is a QT defined in another account.

This behaviour I confirm. Maybe it's a look but don't touch thing. IOW's
you may use them but not edit them. But how are you to use them, if you
can't see them?

JA>    But, typing in a QT Handle from another account + <ctrl><space>
JA>    results in "QT handle not found" errors.

Confirmed. The quick templates aren't listed in the Utilities menu
either.

JA> This certainly seems like a bug.  I gave permission to all accounts to
JA> use those QT's when I defined them.  Why shouldn't I be able to
JA> manually access them in any way?

At this point, I do agree that this seems like buggy behaviour.

JA> This doesn't make sense.  TB tries hard to hide the other accounts
JA> from me other places (eg. Filters, QT), but not in the check mail
JA> list?  Is this consistent behaviour?

Nope. The user should not have any control over other accounts unless
explicitly granted. This should include mail checking.

JA> Also I can change accounts in the message editor window, meaning I
JA> can see all accounts here too. Isn't that a risk considering the
JA> reasons for creating User level accounts and groups? For my purpose,
JA> this might be a good thing, but it seems counter intuitive to me.
JA> Why hide the QT's for the other accounts? Why not allow *viewing* or
JA> *using* the QT's for other accounts? I can understand not allowing
JA> *editing* of QT's from other accounts.

Agreed.

--
A. Curtis Martin..
Moderator TBUDL/TBBETA  |  PGP Key ID: 0xEE079937