On Wednesday, October 18, 2000, 4:20:49 PM, Karin wrote:

>> This was a big problem that was reported in ver. 1.44 or
>> ver.1.45.  I thought they had fixed it, but obviously not
>> completely.

> It sems they haven't. Within a few hours of having restarted
> the computer and using TB, memory usage has increased from +8
> Mb to +9 Mb.

I can't say if it's completely fixed or not, but I don't see it
happening. Memory usage under Windows is a complex matter. Most
applications allocate memory dynamically, and Windows' memory
management is pretty complicated. The total of applications and
services in use, the pagefile size, the amount of data TB has to
handle or cache, just to name a few, all have a impact on TB's
memory usage at a given time. The fact TB is using more memory than
when it started doesn't mean much. From a database point of view, TB
uses many virtual tables (mail ticker, folder view, different
threading, etc.), so it has to cache a lot of data.

TB started yesterday at around 6 MB footprint, later it shrink to
about 5 MB, when I get up this morning (my wife was doing her work
while I was asleep, so neithere the computer nor TB was idling
around), it's at 4 MB! After some uses, it's now at, let me check,
11 MB. I usually leaves TB running for days. If there's a memory
leakage, it should swell indefinitely, but that's not the case here.

Of course, it's still possible TB leaks. It might happen in some
program modules I don't use (mail ticker, e.g.), so I never see it
happens. It might also happen in some versions of Windows, but not
others. (In general, my experience is Win2k manages memory better
than NT4 and Win95/98.)

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.47 Beta/7 | Win2k SP1