Don wrote:

> As much as some of us hate it, html mail is here to stay, and any mail
> client that doesn't offer the option to compose in this format is
> doomed in the long run. I despise tacky Outlook html templates but
> people love using them.
>
> The Bat *needs* to be able to compose in html format. As far as
> viewing html mails, we should have the option of using the Bat's
> built-in limited viewer (which is enought for my own needs, anyhow) or
> selecting Microsoft's viewer if we want to see the mail with images,
> etc.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that TB! is doing the right thing
(read but not write).

The problem is that home and business have radically different
requirements.

People at home write HTML, quite often without knowing it, and are very
lax in handling emails; I am a member of two musicians' lists (the
participants being very much users of a PC as a means to an end, as
opposed to users of a PC) and viruses were turning up almost weekly
until I persuaded the list owner to set up their software to strip out
attachments.

People at work tend not to write HTML. There is often almost an
over-reaction to viruses; many companies I work with strip out HTML and
check for viruses at the server as well as on the desktop, but some go
further. One client strips out all attachments bar PDF (Word documents
and PowerPoint presentations have to be converted before sending or they
bounce), strips out HTML, plasters disclaimers everywhere, sets up NT to
prevent any software installation or alteration at all and reduces
Internet "access" to the intranet and one external site (news.bbc.co.uk)
:)

I have a feeling that strong feeling against viruses will spread,
particularly as broadband connections become common, and there will be a
fork; email will be for plain ASCII and attachments, whereas the bells
and whistles will move to instant messaging.

Given all this, I would not encourage people to use HTML in emails, but
they have to be able to read it (or remove it) :)

Alastair