Hi Eric,

On 01 December 2001 at 12:23:24 [GMT+0100] (which was 11:23 where I
live) Eric Malausséna wrote to Alastair Scott and made these points:

EM> But there's another point in the reading HTML capabilites with The
EM> Bat!. I can't see "external" gif or jpeg in most of the
EM> newsletters I receive.

Correct.

EM> All other software I tried (Pegasus, Eudora, Pocomail...) let me
EM> see all "external" gif or jpeg included in HTML messages...

Shame on them! Is this as an option? Even if it's optional, it's not
right:

EM> What's the problem ?

This is covered in the FAQ.

TB shows in-line images (those sent with the messages) but only
browsers or HTML message renderers that are linked to browsing code
will "GET" images will show out-of-line images.

Email is supposed to be a "collect and read off-line" experience.
Browsing is supposed to be an on-line experience. It is the cross-over
and corruption of this *fact* that is making a mess of the whole email
genre. It has led to security holes, back doors, bloat, virus
infection and invasions of privacy to name but a few of the "bad"
things about it.

Any mail client that does other than TB in its internal rendering is
asking for trouble and is (IMHO) just plain wrong. Even making it
optional is still wrong. The user has to make the decision on a
per-message basis as to whether or not it is safe to fully render
*that* message. There is always the option to launch an HTML version
of the message into a real browser if you simply *must* see the
message in it's full gory (sic). In the case of TB, just double-click
the HTML attachment and it's done.

This isn't about Canute holding back the inevitable tide of progress.
More and more people are beginning to see the light and understand
just how appallingly this "HTML silliness" has rendered so many naive
users vulnerable to exploitation. Sad.

- --
Cheers -- .\\arck D. Pearlstone -- List moderator
\ BrainStorm - free thinking - www: http://www.brainstormsw.com /
 \ PGP Key ID: 0x929DCDA0  |  www: http://www.silverstones.com /
'
TB! v1.54 Beta/14-14F4B4B2 on Windows NT 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2
'