Hello James,

Saturday, December 01, 2001, 8:54:39 PM, you wrote:

JS>         On viruses and external images...from the business end
JS> it would be ridiculous to expect customers to put up with
JS> embedded images.  Keeping them external at least gives the
JS> customer a chance to delete the message before all the
JS> downloading begins.  Please don't think of HTML e-mail as an
JS> evil business tool used by spammers alone.  In my case I'd much
JS> rather send text since I can send them ten times faster.  But
JS> our subscriber base prefers HTML.  They sign up for it, it is
JS> not chosen for them.  The problem with viruses is well
JS> documented but it is certainly not the norm.  And one shouldn't
JS> shy away from HTML because of them just as you wouldn't abstain
JS> from using the 'Net for fear of infection.

To my the problem isn't HTML, per-se...it's the fact that the features
of HTML can be misused by more unsavory types (such as spammers, who,
by merely including an external image, can determine whether or not your
email address is valid.)  However, there are also perfectly valid
reasons to want/need HTML.  However, in these cases, the receipient
usually expects HTML from a certain source.  I think it'd be great if
The Bat! allowed you to set up a list of people (or a filter?) that
were allowed to send you HTML, and it would display the images
automatically for mail from those addresses.

- Sean T.