This is what I've found. This may be confusing and certainly applies
to using the message list views in general.

For each folder, there are separate configurable list views for no
threading, and all threading modes.

Additionally, each folder's View Folder window, which is opened by
double clicking on any message within a folder, has it's own set of
views as well, which may be configured separately from the main
window list views.

There's is yet another configurable view for looking at MIME
digests. This is also set on a per folder basis.

Finally there are the Browse Ticker and search lists which again
have their own own settings for each threading view.

I find this incredibly useful and addictive. It may be confusing if
you don't realize this.

Incredible. Just when I think I've got the hang of TB, it goes and throws another
dozen configuration options at me. I usually like this, and I constantly fiddle with
the settings on my OS's, tools and everything else so that I can find the best fit. I
do a quite a bit of sysadmin work in my spare time. This, however, seems like
overkill. To completely disagree with you, I find this overly complex and incredibly
irritating :) I'd really like to just get down to using my email client in peace
without having to stay on this learning curve.

Another vital thing to know about, is an option that's available for
all folders, i.e., 'Use account default column settings'.

Yes, I use this all the time.

So, to answer your question, you can setup the MIME digest list view
to be consistent, but you can only do so if the MIME digests are
within the same folder or if they are within folders, all of which
share the same default column views.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the time you took to do this - I would have had to
do it myself otherwise.

-Vishal