Allie C Martin wrote...

>You could achieve something similar with TB!. You could have the
>selective download filters ignore mail from unknown sources. In this
>way, you only download mail from known sources. The rest are left on
>the server for you to examine with the dispatcher.

The main problem is that you would then have to remember to check the
dispatcher periodically, since the program gives you no notice of
ignored mail, I assume.

Here's a solution that works with any mailer, including The Bat!, but
has the disadvantage of requiring an additional program.

Use a cheap local mail server like VPOP3. (You access this from your
mail client as LocalHost.)
Write a Download Rules file that instructs the local server to download
anything on your whitelist.
Optionally, instruct it to discard anything on your blacklist.
As the last line of the Download Rules file (in the case of VPOP3),
simply have a question mark. This causes the server to send a message
to the user (you) asking whether you want to download, ignore, or
delete the message if it is not covered by your whitelist or blacklist.

I'm using this method right now, and it seems to work well.

But I'd still like to see this approach implemented in a mail client.
(There was one program, in Japanese, called CatMail that did this, but
it is no longer available.)

--
John De Hoog
http://dehoog.org