Douglas Hinds, [DH] wrote:

> The question is, how are the virtual folders implemented?

Create one. A folder appears.

Go in the properties where you can define what's common to the
messages that are to be displayed. There you can define strings and
where they are pretty much as in filters.

You then define which folders are to be 'watched' for matching
messages.

From there new matches are dynamically added as the real folders are
watched.

> It sounds like messages from several accounts can be viewed in the
> same window, al la Calypso (which has an "account" column).

Yes.

> The question is, how are the messages to be included selected?

Through string searches and defined target folders.

> Since I depend heavily on the Message Dispatcher, I'd prefer to
> select any mail I want put in the virtual window from there (just as
> I'd like to be able to flag and / or color mail from within the
> Message Dispatcher).

VF's cannot be used with the dispatcher. VF's work with messages that
have already been downloaded to your real folders.

MB>> *RitLabs is getting close to another full release.*
>
> So maybe I should wait a bit.

:) Why???

> Furthermore, most of the mail I receive is *never* read (which is
> why the Ticker doesn't serve my purpose - the volume of unread mail
> is too great). I use the Mail Dispatcher to Selectively Download as
> well as alert me to important incoming mail. For this reason, I
> don't need IMAP4 that much either and IAC, not all my account
> providers offer it.

IMAP's strength is in managing the same e-mail account from multiple
locations and PC's. When you move between PC's or IMAP clients all is
as you left things on the other PC or in the other IMAP client. If you
don't have need for this then you don't have need for IMAP.

> Despite Mic's example, I feel that adding html creation marks a
> detour from TB!'s original emphasis and the beginning of a wrong
> development path for TB! (which was motivated probably in order to
> cater to M$Express users in the USA, who are *not* oriented to TB!'s
> priorities, anyway. TB!'s principle competition / market consists of
> the apps used by by Eudora, Pegasus, Poco, Becky, PMMail and even
> Mozilla Messenger users - anyone *except* M$ addicts, IMO).

Which all support HTML creation with the exception of probably Becky.

> You are talking the talk. Now please explain in what way v 2.x is
> much superior to v. 1.62, in relation to your needs. What *are* your
> needs and how does v. 2 do a better job of meeting them? (This is an
> open question directed at any and all tbudlers who've gotten this
> far).

I wouldn't directly answer that question. But will give a response to
your original question as well as this one.

I genuinely suggest that you try TB! v2 and see for yourself.
Stability is a very personal experience. Testimony to this is the
miracle of your using a Win9x system and being Ok with its
reliability. Same for Opera 3.x, I think. Those are two examples of
the most unstable experiences of my computing life, and yet you don't
have much problems with them and have more problems with what I
personally find to be FAR better options.

Additionally, I couldn't use Win9x or Opera 3.x because of the
features I enjoy in WinXP and Opera 7. Same for TB! v1.6x vs v2.11.
Our needs are clearly quite different and a testimony of what I find
useful in TB! will very likely be followed by why you wouldn't find
those same things useful. The dispatcher is a tool I never use and yet
you find it indispensable.

Finally, every TB! version has its problems and there'll be those who
have their problems. Since you're one of those who seems to get on
better with older versions of software, I'd be careful taking
testimonies from v2 users that things are running great. There are
those who enjoy each new release. There are those who have serious
problems and those who have none. You really need to take it for a
spin and see what it has to offer *you*. This roundabout way of
finding out about it is odd and will likely not change anything much.

--
-=[ Allie Martin ]=-