On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 11:25:58PM +0200, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> > Sorry, I should probably have been more clear on the reason I need it :).
> >
> > The main issue from the ansible perspective is to know if we are _going_
> > to change something or not. The user may for example run ansible in
> > --check mode where it should only report if it is about to change
> > something or not.
>
> Ok but then I don't understand why you need to know the "default"
> flags :-)
> If you run rcctl status, it will tell you the current flags of the
> daemon; if these differ from the new flags you want to pass ansible
> then 'ansible --check' will report you that it will change the flags.
> Which is correct, no ?
> Or did I misundertand something (I probably did...).

The problem occurs when I try to manage a service like nfsd which has a
default set of flags. Consider the following commands, which basically
performs what ansible does when the user is not supplying any extra
arguments:
---
# rcctl status nfsd
NO
# rcctl enable nfsd

# rcctl status nfsd
-tun 4
#
---

If I now run the tool again, still without any supplied arguments, it
will compare the empty set of user supplied flags to "-tun 4" which
always differs. So ansible will now think it needs to change something
"forever" :).

To solve this I need the default flags to compare to the output of
'status'.

Regards,
Patrik Lundin