DIsto X2s are great in a cave when they are calibrated. I have modified 6 units
so far with 2 more on the bench. One of those I suspect has a bad
daughterboard. I found out the other Disto had an issue before I took it apart.
It helps to calibrate the units before going into a cave. At Stanton we have
found bad calibrations both during a survey or afterwards. Ditto for Bruntons &
Suuntos. So you need to be able to calibrate the DIsto X2 in the cave, which
means you need to carry in your Android phone or tablet. (The Brunton is more
rugged than those smart devices, and may be a worthy backup unit.)

All of the Suuntos I have bought have only lasted for 3-4 years before you have
to replace the clouded up “smart part”, at just slightly less cost than a brand
new Suunto. The Suuntos can also have compass & inclination errors (like Disto
& Bruntons) but few people bother to check calibration. At least the Suuntos
are waterproof. Suuntos & Bruntons work well in the daylight, not so much the
Distos.

For the Disto units where the laser does not align with the sides of the unit,
you certainly need to carefully run a calibration that rotates the unit on all
4 sides. Some of the calibration videos out there don’t do that.

I started off with a used tripod-mounted quadrant Brunton using the Shadow
Method. We ran the closure data in Carlsbad against Tom Rohr’s theodolite and
precision level survey using the Hardy-Corcoran Fortran program on an IBM 360.
Overkill for your smaller caves, but we made pretty good FS/BS measurements out
to ~ 100 feet. Over the last 15+ years the Fort Stanton Snowy River surveys
have used all of these devices and our sketching techniques have improved 200%,
partially because it is so easy to use the Disto to accurately shoot in the key
sketched items. The Suuntos apparently introduced blunders, and perhaps lazy
FS/BS techniques, because some of those older surveys appear to show that water
runs uphill.

Our new trick is an Arduino controlled data logging barometer that we hope will
help sort out these past elevation errors. I am hoping we can kill off some of
our 20 foot elevation closure errors from old Suunto surveys with the baro
units quickly checking the route. When your 12 mile long stream passage has an
average inclination of ~0.2 degrees, careful backsights become very important.
It might even help to mount your Disto-X2 on a tripod and take instrument
height / light height data like we were doing 50 years ago with the lowly
Brunton. Hand-held 200 foot Disto shots usually have quite a bit of “wiggle” if
you are trying for 0.5 degree precision.

 - Pete

On Jul 23, 2019, at 8:07 AM, John Brooks <john.brooks.archit...@gmail.com>