Thanks for the link.

No distance measurements are taken. We placed the azimuth targets (PVC pipes
placed in sockets on the ground)  farther away in order to get a more precise
azimuth alignment. But the details are dependent on the user, and how good
their eyesight is, and how steady the hand.

Of course if you have several X2s for calibration check, we also just compare
standard readings in two directions, FS & BS, because it is faster. It is
always best to check cal at the cave since the magnetics at home may be
different.

That 3-D printed fixture (and others seen on the internet) are quick and easy,
but if your laser beam is not aligned with the flat sides of the unit there
could be a slight error. I have also heard of people shimming the sides of
their unit with tape, which is good if you are using the quick fixture.

 - Pete