In the late 1960s I bought two military Bruntons from Ft. Hood. I think
Bill Russell got them at $3 or $4 each for us. They were in mils of course,
but I surveyed many caves with them. I just got some trig tables in mils
and no problem using a slide rule to reduce data. One had a plain compass
needle, the other had a self-damping plate under the needle that made it
settle down quickly, and I liked that one more. Used mirror and shadow
methods both, and mostly hand-held, but I glued some brass strips on the
sides of one of them to accommodate a Brunton clamp for a tripod. One of
those Bruntons is now in the TSS museum. Used a lot in Mexico, Texas, and
New Mexico. I got a Suunto compass and clinometer about 1973.and stopped
using Bruntons. The Brunton clinometer was difficult to use and Suunto was
an improvment, especially for handheld surveys.

In the 1990s I ran a calibration test course on the surface during our big
Powell's Cave resurvey project. The surveyors brought old Suuntos and a new
one. The compasses disagreed overall by about 2°, sometimes >5°. And a new
Suunto was the worst one of the lot, so age of instrument was not a good
predictor. I had a Suunto clinometer that began to stick after years of
use, and the readings became unreliable, so I got a new one.

Lang Brod used to demonstrate how he checked a compass on a rotating,
lazy-Susan table, with maybe 5° increments. A compass can have bad spots
and good spots all the way around. I've also "swung" an airplane compass a
few times when I owned an airplane. Even with compensation screws, you have
to calibrate, then fill out a correction card for 12 directions at 30°
apart. Most air compasses can be off by 0 to 5° in any direction, so the
card tells you what to steer for a correct course. The compass card is
mounted right on the compass. Very important. Also important for cave
surveys, but few cavers have ever done even a rudimentary test. We tend to
confuse precision (trying to read to 1/2°) with accuracy.

All of this is pretty much academic when surveying a smaller cave with one
set of instruments. Good sketching and a good GPS location are more
important in my opinion. Some people should not sketch, and they generally
don't.

Have fun with your old Bruntons! I still own one that works, and a couple
of worn-out Suuntos.

*William R. (Bill) Elliott*

*speodes...@gmail.com <speodes...@gmail.com>*

573-291-5093 cell