I have another idea: we may not be able to find a solution that works on
all platforms, but since the only goal is to save the file, there may
already be a workaround that others have already done and we just need to
use. I am thinking of Google Drive, Dropbox, Syncthing (which is
open-source): they can handle even if the user is offline, so they can also
be used to explicitly use them offline. I don't know if it is possible to
make a request to the apps from a browser, so far this is just an idea.