The idea of stripping TiddlyWiki down to a microkernel and making everything be
a plugin comes up fairly frequently, and seems to be an idea with some appeal.

One factor that hasn’t been mentioned so far is that the microkernel
architecture would make testing and support a good deal more complicated. Core
developers and plugin authors would have to test against all the common
combinations of core plugins. Every single support enquiry would have to be
prefaced by a discussion to find out exactly what combination of plugins the
user has.

Of course, to some extent we have this problem already because we already have
plugins. But right now the goal for the core is for it to contain not the bare
minimum possible functionality, but rather the functionality that has the
potential to be universally useful. That broader criteria means that the core
itself is sufficient for a lot of work with TiddlyWiki, making the life of
users and developers a lot easier.

A consideration that has already been mentioned is whether it really matters
that the core gets big, especially now that we’re in a world where a simple
news story weighs 20MB. There are valid concerns about slow networks but the
best solution there is to set the server up with GZip compression because it
will benefit the content in the wiki too.

As to why TW5 is larger than TWC, it’s really just because TW5 has so much more
functionality beyond the basic user experience that both systems share.

Best wishes

Jeremy.