I think modernization of TW should be the priority and it’s better to make
use of the current momentum among developers and contributors for that. New
project will naturally help in getting more reach for the software.
Rebranding can be done at the time of launch of new software.  For the time
being use Xememex as code name of the modernization project and give alpha
/ beta software under xememex brand name at regular intervals for feedback
in google group. As we use the new name frequently, we will obviously get
to know whether the new name will have appeal among masses. Even a poll can
be conducted among the user for feedback about the new name during the
development period.

I will share some of my understandings about TW( though not related to this
thread). Actually TW in its current state is very powerful if one
understand the core features correctly and if we know where / how to use it
in daily use. I am not saying I know every core features. I am still
learning. The problem is that most of the new users won’t try to go through
the documentation properly to understand TW. Then they will see some
YouTube videos on TW, which in my opinion just show the basics alone. So
they will conclude TW won’t suit them. UI might be turn off for some. But
in my case, I find TW interface to be the best for maximizing my output.
But I have used some plug ins to customize the UI of my TW. I like my
customized TW more than any of the new crowd pulling note taking apps. But
it took some effort from my part to reach that state. Everyone may not be
willing to spend much time to customize their wiki. Recently I had posted
in one discourse forum called “Productivists” regarding TW
https://www.theproductivists.club/t/tiddlywiki-for-note-taking/121. The
reply I got was surprising. They acknowledged the power of TW, but don't
use TW for their note taking.

May be a there should be an official community website or blog built upon
TW itself with a group of moderators for it. Plug in creators should submit
their plug ins to be shown in this site with demonstration of real life
examples regarding its usage. Also there should be real life examples of
core features also. There should be an option for users to do experimental
installation of plug ins which they wish to use as in Tones Playground
<https://anthonymuscio.github.io/playground.html>. This should be shown in
the welcome page of main website TW so that new users can see it easily.
Modernization along with such steps will definitely will increase the
appeal of TW to masses. Wishing for the best for TW!