Dear all,

The gallery <https://tw-logo-contest.tiddlyhost.com/> is now up to date
including James' latest submission with emoji. Of course, multi-submission
authors will need to winnow our offerings.

I'd love to hear more feedback in the spirit of what Télumire offered over
the weekend.

For what it's worth, the images chosen for version banners, up to now, are
remarkably heterogeneous -- there's no history of sticking to the fonts
used on tiddlywiki.com, nor to any particular palette, and even the
TiddlyWiki name was never part of the banner image until 5.1.23 (and
invoking a precedent for not using masks seems odd given the heterogeneity
of version banners, though I respect individual aesthetic reactions). If
there's some emerging consensus around any of these points, then I think
we'd all welcome reflections on such things.

There's a delicate balance, in this open-source world between
volunteer/amateur enthusiasm and expertise. I love the spirit of this
banner image competition, and yet I also recognize that designers (such as
Duarte Farrajota Ramos, who won the poster competition
<https://tiddlywiki.com/poster/>) really do bring skills to the challenge
of communicating clearly and efficiently through images.

In this spirit, it's worth reflecting further on the audience for this (and
other) TiddlyWiki imagery and publicity. Are we looking for images that
will feel accessible to those who know little about TiddlyWiki and its
innards, or are we aiming primarily to communicate with those who already
recognize JSON or curly brackets as familiar reference-points?

Both the puzzle-piece logo of 5.1.22 and the modular shape in Atro's 5.1.23
image presuppose no programming-literacy. The JSON file-icon gesture in
Mohammad's entry seems to be at the other end of the spectrum: it surely
speaks clearly and elegantly to many users who are at home in code, but
perhaps at the risk of intimidating someone who is browsing for a free,
flexible, publishable and future-proof alternative to bloatware like
evernote, and who would be only slowly tempted to peek under the hood (or
"bonnet" for you Brits;) ).

What do you all think?

-Springer