This is such an awesome thread.

On Tuesday, July 20, 2021 at 9:04:07 AM UTC-3 Soren Bjornstad wrote:

> *Walt,* the thing that bugs me most about the “immutable title/ID” idea
> is that unless your notes are also going to be immutable, the *content* of
> a note can still change so much as to make the reference not effective
> anymore. So I don't see much point in bothering, as long as you can avoid
> having links break. Presumably the thing you were looking for won't move so
> far away from the updated note that you'll be unable to find it, anyway
> (probably not more than one link away).

Hence why I have an awful lot of love for relink.  I would have a rough
time without it.  No broken (internal links) with Relink.

> It is a good point on external links breaking, though. It would be cool if
> you could set up redirects within TW, so that you could at least have an
> incoming link to an old title go somewhere somewhat relevant. I guess you
> could just leave the old title with a link to the new one, but without an
> obvious way to distinguish redirect tiddlers from other tiddlers, they
> would probably get in your way and make you think they were the “real”
> tiddlers all the time.

Link rot.  Redirects is a possibility.  I much prefer UID fields and
providing links to a Tiddler in some TiddlyWiki with a "UID" reference.
(related thread: A Prototype of UID's for stable permalinks
<https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/l2Mwu3pOAXw/m/fuvWrwpDBwAJ>)

So if I want to provide folk with a link to a specific tiddler in some
TiddlyWiki, in a way that allows me to change the tiddler title willy-nilly
without breaking the link, I would give folk this:

https://tiddlywiki-programming.neocities.org/CJ_TiddlyWikiProgramming.html#:[uid[2]]

<https://tiddlywiki-programming.neocities.org/CJ_TiddlyWikiProgramming.html#:[uid[2]]>

For some reason, I prefer this than setting up redirects.