Ciao PMario

Before I reply on your suggested message (I need think about it a little
bit first)... I'd like to make an observation ...

I think one of the reasons its not so easy to get the message exactly right
is awareness that users are likely, unfortunately, NOT routinely
backing-up. So the message of advised steps also has to kinda deal with
that. BUT should it? IF we were SURE they were backing up then the message
could be a lot simpler I think.

BECAUSE I run redundant backup that detects changes in a TW every 30
minutes or so I would rarely follow your suggested steps. I'd just close
(without saving) and re-open & if the problem came back I'd revert to a
previous version.

I suppose what I am saying is *I don't see why TW creators should have to
have the hassle of laying out complex steps because users are lazy about
backup*. In a way I think they should ASSUME people back-up. But also give
alerts, in the "Red Screen", to encourage them to do that if they aren't
already.

Backup is universally understood as a basic principle. Its likely one of
the most straight-forward concepts you encounter in TW. I don't like to see
you developers over-apologise when Users do need to take some ordinary,
understandable, responsibility too.

I hope it is clear what I am saying. That whilst reminders of backups are a
very good idea, especially in "crash" messages, I'd NOT try to address
salvage in every post-crash scenario ultra-carefully. It just gets too
complicated. IF you had decent recent backups already you'd simply bail out.

Best wishes
Josiah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0b59ffd4-ecbd-4f4d-9bbb-5590798bfc3a%40googlegroups.com.