On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 2:52:23 AM UTC-6, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:

>  I read around the issue and then discovered that there are proposals in
> CSS to change the behaviour but they somewhat in conflict with existing DOM
> approach ... https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui-4/#content-selection. I
> haven't tested if any browsers adopted the proposal--the point is that the
> default setting is "uncopyable" but the proposal is to permit copying using
> a "user-select" property with several different available settings.

I'm not sure if I've understood correctly, but, that draft seems to suggest
that in Firefox you *may* be able to set user-select, either in the parent
element or in the before/after pseudo element itself:

Note: As of the time of writing, experimental implementations do not all
behave like this. Firefox does.

So, in essence, something like:

element::before {
 user-select: text;
}

You could also try moz-user-select but try the above first.

Again, I'm not sure I've read enough of the draft to gain complete
understanding. The fact it's a draft is a red flag -- indeed, the entire
section is denoted "at risk".

Here's the MDN article, for reference (no mention of pseudo elements)
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/user-select

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5f035542-6245-45e6-8408-0c921ff81b1c%40googlegroups.com.