Thanks! I understand now: because they are css generated they don't exist
in the DOM

then I think it's just the wrong way to generate those numbers, because
that's how css works - it doesn't generate DOM elements as far as I know

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/1cf18625-788f-4f04-a21d-0c1dffb0c71d%40googlegroups.com.