I just want to add the footnote that its easy in TW to COMBINE a "personal
markup system" with the standard markup it has. If you composite your own
markup BEFORE the main parser runs then you can have the best of both as
first it would deal with your markup and then standard TW markup. The
downside is you'd need a "Content Type" that likely only your wiki would
have. In many cases this would not matter.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/f51c6314-7f84-4a71-9619-e6388e82e049%40googlegroups.com.