This is an interesting issue. On the one hand we have markup for wikitext
styling using, for instance, the @@ syntax. On the other hand one
inevitably hits a contradiction in Markup systems that are meant to be
human readable. That to get complex styling is not sane through "Markup",
as Jermolene put it well recently: *that would take us back to the same
level of complexity as HTML itself. *

This is precisely why I'm as much interested in styling for specific
Document Types as in generic markup. Markup is a blunt instrument for
specifics IMO. Document types provide a layout that is ITSELF the TEMPLATE
for format. This allows sophisticated styling without any explicit markup
at all.

I slightly exaggerate. But not much.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/f14591a6-f08d-482e-a80e-f10953d57171%40googlegroups.com.