True, but the point of IRC is not to have retrievable information more to
get quick help on mostly rapidly solvable issues. If I have to come ask a
question here, I'm stuck until someone answers, sometimes hours later. On
IRC a newb can get an answer in the minute and get on with what he was
doing, which is especially important at the beginning when you are confused
about basic stuff.

The kind of questions asked on IRC are not the same as on StackOverflow,
for example.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/751dcc00-c7c9-49e1-9cc0-6dde6c8a6b9c%40googlegroups.com.