> Right now I sense the issue is about getting some base library that can
> replace Vanilla, look like it, but have the better layout matrices CSS now
> inhabit's?

 Hear, hear.

I strongly support it. It might be a long and arduous journey, but a
pressing need, especially for those who use TW5 in small screens, given
that android app projects have not yet managed to push out fully mature
solutions and is yet to make a dent in the ease of use issues in small
screens.

I did a little work on it some time back, when the idea of single tiddler
mode was floating around and seemed like it will make it into core. To have
just one tiddler open in the story list gave a little more flexibility when
it came to toolbar spacing. So I took an old project of mine called
clevernote, combined it with single tiddler mode, and snatched the idea of
hanging search bar from JD to reach a theoretical model of how TW5 could
look in small screens with a little effort and help from flexbox grids and
other helpers provided by decent css frameworks.

Here is a couple of screenshots.

http://imgur.com/SAxUHQG
http://imgur.com/xKUvthf
https://m.imgur.com/P0r28Of
http://imgur.com/fAUcyET
http://imgur.com/apy0QnL

Now the project obviously fizzled out because the work on single tiddler
mode halted and it never made it to core. The existing version is buggy.
Nevertheless, to me it stands as a convincing proof that the mobile
versions atleast could benefit a lot from a css makeover. I hope to see
some radical changes in that direction.

Sincerely,
Riz

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/58f4a664-f66b-45f0-a2d2-ad86b57c292c%40googlegroups.com.