I’m keen to introduce a new default theme as part of a future v5.2.x version of
TW5. I’d definitely be wanting to use an off-the-shelf framework, and tend to
favour the simpler ones that focus on typography, such as Tachyons
(https://tachyons.io/ <https://tachyons.io/>).

As others have suggested, I’d also be keen to package up some or all of the
popular CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap and Semantic UI as optional plugins.

The trouble, of course, is that each framework has different expectations of
the classes that will be used to implement components. For example, Bootstrap
needs the classes .btn and .btn-success to be added to a stock HTML button,
while Semantic UI expects the classes .ui and .button.

So, it’s not practical for the core to include classes for all the available
frameworks. So, if a user were to choose to import the Semantic UI framework
plugin they would be able to make their own freshly written buttons use the
correct styles, but the existing buttons used by the core would stay with their
default styling.

There is a potential solution: the core could use tiddlers to map the names of
UI components to the classes that should be assigned. For example, somewhere
there might be a declaration like this that says “give components of type
“button” the CSS classes ban and btn-success:

button: btn btn-success

Then the core would define buttons like this:

<button class={{$:/config/ui/component-classes/button}}>

Then, the Semantic UI plugin would change the value of
$:/config/ui/component-classes/button to be “ui button”.

There might be concern about performance, but transcluded attributes are pretty
efficient, it’s just one extra lookup over a string value. Anyhow, it’s not
something I’ve had a chance to explore yet, but I’m keen to do so for v5.2.x

Best wishes

Jeremy.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/3DFB506B-3BF8-40E4-ABA1-C8DF0B240D4D%40gmail.com.