Hi Stephan

I'll respond to the GitHub PRs, but wanted to give a bit of context here.

The first thing is that when I started TW5 it wasn't at all clear to me that I
would be able to achieve my primary objective of creating an algebra of
tiddlers that was rich enough to support constructing TiddlyWiki's own user
interface. The components that you see today were built up gradually over the
two or three years from 2011.

Part of the process of TW5's development has been a sometimes jumpy process of
rethinking prior assumptions - the situation with filters is fairly typical of
the development of a number of features: I knew from TiddlyWiki Classic that I
wanted a concise notation for structured searching of tiddlers, and so had a
basic filter language early on. But initially I was thinking of the filter
language as a way to select tiddlers: the results of evaluating a filter would
be a list of real, actual tiddlers.

Accordingly, the implementation of the early filter operators tended to look up
titles to retrieve the underlying tiddler, and would silently return nothing if
the target tiddler didn't exist. (The each.js and field.js operators are a good
example).

Gradually (and this is really the point of these remarks), I realised that it
was better to think of the filter language as a generic way to manipulate lists
of values, and only have a small set of distinct operators that treat the
values in those lists as tiddler titles.

The trouble we have now is, as ever, backwards compatibility. We've got nearly
a decade of wikis in the wild that depend on the existing behaviour.

We can and do change the behaviour of filters but it's generally by extending
them with special new modes and the like. We certainly can't change existing
behaviour just because it is inconsistent or confusing.

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston