Mario,

I understand your concern in relationship to Unicode. But given TiddlyWiki
has the content type;

And most systems have fonts for symbols, beyond the old ASCII sets I am
sure we can find safe Unicode characters. TT may be the best to provide
guidance here.

   - The dream would be keyboard enterable "glyphs" or mark-up. Way back
   when this started I actually expected custom mark-up to be only triggered
   by a leading period "." (first non blank character is "."), in effect an
   escape character approach.
      - Of course now we have gone a long way past that and uncovered many
      more possibilities.
   - A Unicode character is less likely to be found in imported text in the
   exact way we use it as an "escape" character.
   - As long as we can turn off and alter the escape character used, we can
   adapt if the text contains our escape character
      - And since we need to rule in customised wiki text we are somewhat
      safe here.

I am happy with the block approach first, it is already very powerful. Thus
you could use the same principal, only if the escape character or glyph is
the first non-space character (perhaps permit tabs etc..)

A quick look for "safe Unicode characters" gave me
this https://qntm.org/safe
I don't pretend to understand it fully but perhaps TT does.

Regards
Tony