I've uncovered a pretty serious problem with libjpeg/SIMD whenever it is
built with Xcode 3.x on OS X 10.5 or 10.6.  It basically generates a
corrupted JPEG stream.  This problem occurs only with the SIMD
extensions enabled, but it also occurs on older revisions of the library
(prior to any modifications I made.)  Curiously, if I build on an older
system running 10.4 and Xcode 2.5 and bring the binary over to the 10.6
system, everything works fine.  It's just the act of building on 10.6
with Xcode 3.2 or 10.5 using Xcode 3.1 that causes issues.

I've tried building the code both with and without PIC, using the 10.4,
10.5, and 10.6 compatibility SDK's, using NASM 0.98, 2.05.01, and 2.07.
 Curiously, with NASM 2.07, it doesn't build at all, giving me the
following error:

ld: in ./.libs/libjpeg.a(jcsammmx.o), malformed .o file, symbol
const_base with address 0x1B4 is not with section 2 (__DATA,__const)
address range of 0x1C0 to 0x1C0

I suspect the latter may be related to this NASM bug:

http://www.nabble.com/--nasm-Bugs-2840300---Macho-alignment-broken-td25044061.html

However, the more general problem is, I suspect, related to PIC
generation.  I'm not quite sure what may have changed about this in
Xcode 3.x vs. 2.5, but whatever it was, it seems to have broken our
build.  Hoping someone might have any ideas about other things to try.