On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 07:25:32 -0500,
Brian Hinz wrote:

> I know of at least one major commercial EDA application which requires that
> the server support 8-bit PseudoColor visuals, and a small subset of my
> users are on a WAN and run Xvnc in 8bpp palette mode specifically for this
> application.

They don't run this on any normal workstation? Xorg dropped PseudoColor
visuals quite some time ago.

This would otherwise be exactly the case that would be lost in my
change, as Xvnc -depth 8 would no longer result in PseudoColor but
DirectColor/TrueColor.

> It's possible to use 8bpp direct color on the client (when
> the server is 8bpp ColourMap) but the colors are generally not approximated
> correctly.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can't they run the client in it's
normal 24-bit mode? That should cover all the colours of the server's
palette.

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman           Software Development
Cendio AB               http://cendio.com