Hi John:

They are going to maintain the existing AM modulation format so all the WWVB "Atomic Clocks" will still work. The phase modulation is added on top of that.

Yes, I expect my HP 117 may no longer work, but I'd much rather have the
improved s/n and timing accuracy.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com
http://www.end2partygovernment.com/Brooke4Congress.html

J. Forster wrote:
All very nice, but if this change renders all existing receivers useless.
How does that improve things?

All it does is wipe out all the existing phase tracking infrastructure.

The only benefit is to the government who can reuse the WWVB transmitter
and frequency allocation. Everybody else will have to buy new stuff.

Sounds a lot like HDTV fiasco. Making jobs (in China or Korea) by making
scrap.

YMMV,

-John

Dear Time-Nuts,

I sure would like a WWVB BPSK receiver for the new modulation. (..)

I'm sure in time there will be plenty of low cost ICs designed to
receive the
[SNIP}