On 2/22/18 12:29 PM, Leo Bodnar wrote:
Here is ENIG fact that is not widely known at the moment but which some might
find useful.

I could not understand why I get better TDR and insertion loss results from
solder-mask covered microstrip transmission lines than from otherwise identical
microstrips on the same substrate with soldermask removed and, therefore,
covered with ENIG.

Gold can't be bad, right? As it turns out, even gold coin has two sides to it.

I have found that Shlepnev and McMorrow conducted extensive research and
published data, some of which is presented here
http://www.simberian.com/Presentations/NickelCharacterizationPresentation_emc2011.pdf

the ever useful http://www.microwaves101.com/ site has an excellent discussion of this under the "skin effect" heading.