kenneth topp wrote:

> Hello,
>
> (another user here)
>
> If the difference were spoken as tc 3.x follows servlet 2.2/jsp 1.1 where
>  tc 4.x follows servlet2.3/jsp 1.2, then it's a clear difference that I
> can appreciate, and even base decisions on.

For any previous version change in the servlet api (2.0->2.1, 2.1->2.2), I would
agree this makes a lot of difference.  Each of these new versions had pretty
significant impact on apps developed to the previous specs.

With 2.3, the changes are evolutionary additions.  However, there is also a new
mandate -- a 2.3 servlet container is *required* to accept and run 2.2-based web
apps.  Therefore, it's relevant to evaluate a 2.3-based server, even if all you
want to do is run your existing apps.  (This applies to all 2.3 containers, not
just Tomcat 4.0.)

> I decided to follow 3.2, as I felt that it was getting the most exercise
> then jserv, and other branches.  So far, I haven't been too disappointed
> with my decision (although the mod_* situation isn't pleasant to sort
> out).

3.2 is the only rational choice for production apps at the moment.  That will
change pretty soon.

> I would, of course, prefer one kickass roadmap that has amazing developers
> focusing on non-duplicating efforts, _but_ I can easily appreciate a
> 3.x/4.x roadmap if it was followed up with, for example, the standards
> difference that I mentioned above.  (Another technical split one could
> make is the release of jdk support, etc.).

JDK support is actually a useful criteria in this case.  Servlet 2.3 mandates a
Java2 platform (which Tomcat 4.0 takes advantage of by using lots of JDK 1.2 or
later classes).  If you are running on a JDK 1.1 platform, Tomcat 4.0 (or any
other Servlet 2.3 container) is not an option for you unless/until you upgrade.

>  Of course, if there isn't a
> difference that makes sense to user, then I fallback to Aaron's thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kenneth Topp

Craig McClanahan