On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Jon Stevens wrote:

> p.s. One thing that you are all not remembering or even realize is that
> Catalina was originally going to be JServ 2.0. If Sun had never given us the
> source code to Tomcat, then you would have been using Catalina anyway.

I hope EVERYONE takes what Jon (oddly, so offhandedly) put in the PS to
heart right now. This, gentlemen, is the record of history; and as far as
I'm concerned, the final word on this thread.

Look at the bugs in BugRat. The ones coming in for 4.0 are getting
linked, documented and closed faster than the ones coming in for 3.x. The
bugs for 4.0 are fewer than the ones coming in for 3.x. Shit, I think
we've even got some 3.0's in there that haven't been dealt with!

As far as those of you committing to the 3.x branch today, think about
this: Your efforts are sorely needed in the 4.0 tree, right here, right
now, today. I have read the code in the 3.x tree. It's shaping up nicely,
true, but after reading 3.1 for about 2 days, I got so depressed about the
project I thought I was going to blow my head off. To find even where
the request comes in I found I had to grep for a "ServerSocket" and
drill from there! When I look at 4.0, I can actually READ that code and
understand it. There's a lot more to writing code whose source was meant
to be publically consumed that is not evident in the writing of the 3.x
tree. In short, 4.0 is the right code for the right project at the right
time.

--
Nicolaus Bauman
(The guy who runs BugRat