On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> >Look at the bugs in BugRat. The ones coming in for 4.0 are getting
> >linked, documented and closed faster than the ones coming in
> >for 3.x. The
> >bugs for 4.0 are fewer than the ones coming in for 3.x. Shit, I think
> >we've even got some 3.0's in there that haven't been dealt with!
>
> I'm sorry to say that the last time (before 3.2.1 release) I tried to
> use BugRats to get the list of open bugs related to mod_jk/ajp13, I received
> SQL error !

I won't defend BugRat. It was written for JServ 1.0 and has a lot of
problems, not the least of which is it's SQL. But it's better than
nothing.

> So I've commited the patch and don't closed the bug in BugRats (ajp13 +
> multiples cookies).

I'll close it for you then. Can you give me the ID number in question?

> >As far as those of you committing to the 3.x branch today, think about
> >this: Your efforts are sorely needed in the 4.0 tree, right here, right
> >now, today. I have read the code in the 3.x tree. It's shaping
> >up nicely,
> >true, but after reading 3.1 for about 2 days, I got so
> >depressed about the
> >project I thought I was going to blow my head off. To find even where
> >the request comes in I found I had to grep for a "ServerSocket" and
> >drill from there! When I look at 4.0, I can actually READ that code and
> >understand it.
>
> The code in 3.3 tree is much more cleaner than in 3.1. Another point is that
> many others I saw the TC 4.0 really as a Sun Products since all of the core
> commiters are paid by Sun and spent their many of their WORK TIME on this
> project.

I agreed with the first part of that paragraph; 3.3 is better than 3.1,
but the next part of the paragraph, Costin's, et al, heroic efforts aside,
is simply not true.

Quoting Sam Ruby:

"Tomcat 3.0 was clearly a Sun project.  Most of the design discussions
were held in conference rooms in Sun.  The release was made with virtually
no prior discussion on the mailing list (remember sideswiped?)."

And going back to the original reason I posted to this thread,

Quoting Jon Stevens:

"One thing that you are all not remembering or even realize is that
Catalina was originally going to be JServ 2.0. If Sun had never given us
the source code to Tomcat, then you would have been using Catalina
anyway."

--
Nicolaus Bauman