on 8/6/01 7:18 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:
>
>> Not exactly scientific, but I do trust Rickard to do things correctly...he
>> has an existing JSP page for testing and then converted it to
>> Velocity...here are the results...
>>
>>     JSP - 240-480ms
>>     Velocity - 50-70ms
>>

> Frankly, I'm astounded it took you so long to figure out that you had a
> legitimate case on performance ... at least versus Jasper :-).

It wasn't my posting. I was forwarding another posting. So, the "you" should
be directed at the original poster.

That said, the previous results that I had achieved were a quite bit closer
than those though. The above is pretty astounding.

> Try this
> on some other containers and you will find different results.  Orion,
> Resin, and WebLogic are supposed to have pretty fast implementations.

Rickard did. Velocity was either on par or faster. Read the Velocity-dev
archives.

> I did ... the code that Jasper generates is not optimized at all, so doing
> a decent optimizing compiler will make a pretty dramatic
> difference.  Watch this space. :-)

Ok.

> Craig (who is actually quite happy with Catalina at this point :-)

I'm pretty happy with the container. Jasper still sucks...regardless of it
being a JSP implementation. :-)

p.s. Even though Tomcat is supposed to be more concerned with the R.I.
status, people are using it for more than that and are depending on it. *I
think* it is ludicrous to assume otherwise as well as to force people to
purchase commercial implementations in order to get a decently performing
engine.

-jon