Asad Habib wrote:
.NET and PHP may have better development/deployment environments, but
quite frankly I would rather use Java than C# or PHP to develop web
applications. Just look at the robust Java open-source frameworks that
exist (i.e. Spring, Turbine, Struts, JSF) just to name a few. Also, .NET
applications are not multi-platform. There is just no comparison to Java
- J2EE rules!

No doubt, and this isn't about "which rules more". This is a frank discussion regarding issues of hosting many webapps, looking for a real solution.

I was merely trying to illustrate how high the bar has been set, and Java should aspire to be as easy /to deploy/ as PHP. It's certainly more powerful.

Seth