Tim Landscheidt wrote:
> Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> I'm a bit concerned about the diversity of the tools made by each of us.
>> Almost every user utilises its own library of files for providing a
>> skin, db access... Which make integrating them into something coherent
>> quite hard.
>> These multiple frameworks may also be an effect of the large
>> applications ban.
>> [...]
>
> I had similar thoughts recently when faced for the n-th time
> with accessing Wikipedia per MySQL (on the toolserver) or
> the API (elsewhere) in Perl.  It would be nice to have one
> module with an interface that can be used by Toolserver
> users and others as well.  Skins fall into this category as
> well: I think most developers could easily adapt their tools
> to use a centralized skin, but wouldn't bother to implement
> one by themselves that is accessible and usable.

Right. Or if the Toolserver is horribly lagged, switch to the API silently
to get the most recent data. I've had similar thoughts.

While we all dream of a world in which there's no duplicated coding effort,
the reality of these Toolserver tools is that every developer has a
programming language preference. You're Perl, I'm Python, others are PHP. So
ultimately, I don't know how much integration there can really be.

Consistent styling (importing a common CSS file) is easy enough, though. As
long as, y'know, it isn't ugly. ;-)

MZMcBride