On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 12:25 +0100, Leandro Regueiro wrote:
> > Thanks Leandro for the links and detailed reply.
> >
> > I must confess I don't know much about TBX, toolkit has a storage class
> > the supports it and Pootle can open TBX files. at the moment you can
> > use TBX files for the server wide terminology, just delete the default
> > terminology project and recreate it choosing TBX format instead of PO.
> >
> > But I doubt we support all the fancy features. Friedel and Dwayne
> > probably know more about this.
>
> Ok. I am curious about which subset of TBX is supported by the storage
> class in TTK. How can I see it without looking at the code?

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/tbx

It might not be 100% up to date.  But will give you a quick idea.
TBXLite (or whatever they called it) would be my first target for any
missing features.

> > now supporting features like grouping concepts is not just about being
> > able to read the TBX format. the terminology matching algorithms needs
> > to change, and maybe also the UI for presenting terminology
> > suggestions. that's what we'll need to work on before we can start
> > defaulting to TBX for terminology extraction.
>
> Ok. At first Pootle only needs to show suggestions. If you are
> translating a phrase that contains "view" Pootle should show all the
> entries from the glossary that contain "view". In case of a glossary
> made with one of these tools (remember concept based terminology)
> should show at least two entries from TBX: "view" the verb and "view"
> the noun.
>
> I emphasize that Pootle should only show suggestions since it is a
> program for translating. All it should have is a way to show
> suggestions besides the translation fields and some interface for
> managing glossaries (import and deleting, but nothing more).
> Extracting terminology from a translations database and
> adding/editing/deleting terms and reducing false positives generated
> by poterminology and that things should be in an standalone tool
> within the translation toolkit ecosystem (TTK, Virtaal, Pootle, and
> now this one). IMHO this is the best way, but I realize that in the
> beginning you may want to start including these features in Pootle and
> maybe pull out them to other tool later.
>
> > now as you seem to not only know what advanced terminology support
> > should look like but are also passionate about it, I hope we can
> > convince you to write detailed description of the features you think we
> > should support either on the wiki
> > http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/ or as feature request in
> > bugzilla http://bugs.locamotion.org/
>
> Ok. First I want to see how Pootle does right now, but I don't have a
> plenty of time for investigating. When I have time I likely will write
> the "specifications". As I said we are currently working in a tool to
> manage glossaries. When it is finished we can use the ideas to rewrite
> it using Python or Django or whatever you are using for Pootle, and
> integrate on it the interface for managing the extraction using
> poterminology and those things we are considerating.
>
> > Our goals for Pootle 2.1 are limited to integrating poterminology for
> > extraction. a simple UI for adding/editing/deleting terms and reducing
> > false positives generated by poterminology. But we'll continue to
> > improve terminology support in later versions (this disucssion is
> > relevant to virtaal and toolkit not just Pootle).
>
> It is relevant for a lot of other projects.

Dwayne Bailey
Associate             Research Director        +27 12 460 1095 (w)
Translate.org.za      ANLoc                    +27 83 443 7114 (c)

Recent blog posts:
* Translate Toolkit - a powerful localisation toolkit
http://www.translate.org.za/blogs/dwayne/en/content/translate-toolkit-powerful-localisation-toolkit
* The sky's the limit for new Zulu spell checker
* Everyone has the power to champion their language

Firefox web browser in Afrikaans - http://af.www.mozilla.com/af/
African Network for Localisation (ANLoc) - http://africanlocalisation.net/